These were so good. Kind of unexpected as they were supposed to be vegetable meatballs.
Actually, they ended up tasting like zucchini pancakes, if you've ever had those, which are kind of like potato pancakes.
"Hot Air Balloon" by Owl City
- 1 1/2 pounds spinach (I replaced some with zucchini)
- 1 cup panko
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 clove garlic mashed
- pinch of kosher salt
- canola oil
- Bring a dutch oven full of water to a boil.
- Blanch the spinach for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Drain into a colander.
- Immediately rinse with very cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Using your hands wring the water out of the spinach. Do this by taking about 1/4 cup of spinach into your hands and wring until no water runs from the spinach.
- Chop all of the spinach with a knife. Do not use a food processor or you will have mush.
- Place the spinach, panko, cheese, nutmeg, garlic and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs in a separate mixing bowl, then add to the spinach mixture.
- Using your hands mix well.
- Form into small spinach balls.
- Add about 1" of canola oil to a large frying pan.
- Heat over medium heat.
- In batches, brown the spinach balls until golden brown; about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove with a slotted spoon or tongs, set aside on a paper towel.
- Continue browning the spinach balls